Scientific achievements of the university
In the reporting year university scientists carried out 460 research projects:
• 140 projects on grant funding of Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan for 2018-2020;
• 8 projects within program and target funding of Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan for 2018-2020;
• 5 projects of "Science Foundation";
• 107 research projects within economic contracts with organizations and enterprises;
• 200 grants of the international funds and organizations.
International grants, internships
In 2016-2017 al-Farabi Kazakh National University scientists received 188 grants from international funds and organizations. The number of grants awarded for joint international projects is 57, 36 of them are in the social and humanitarian sciences field and 21 of them are in the natural and technical sciences field.
In 2016-2017 scientists and faculty members received 52 grants for internships, 96 people received further training at leading foreign universities and scientific institutions. Scientific internships were granted financial support from foreign organizations and funds and within the framework of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan grant projects. The number of the countries available for internships is increasing - Germany, the USA, the UK, France, Turkey, South Korea, China, Japan, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, etc.
6681 scientific papers written by the faculty members were published in 2016-2017:
- 145 monographs, 34 of them were published abroad, 111 were published in Kazakhstan;
- 3337 scientific articles, 482 of them - in top-ranking foreign peer-reviewed periodicals, 361 - in other international periodicals, 1991 - in journals recommended by the Committee for Control of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan Department of Education and Science, 503 - in other journals of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
- 2542 conference proceedings and abstracts, 403 of them are national, 1369 are international, 770 abstracts.
In addition, faculty memebers published 657 textbooks, scientific and methodological teaching aids, dictionaries, reference books and collections of papers.
Proceedings of University scientists in top-ranking publishing houses
In 2016-2017 the article "Calendar Age of the Baigetobe" from the Iron Age of Sak Cemetery (Shilikty Valley, Kazakhstan) written by professor of the Department of Archeology, Ethnology and Museology A.T. Toleubaev was published in the Radiocarbon journal with the impact factor of 4,565. Professor of the Department of Analytical, Colloid Chemistry and Technology of Rare Elements Kenesov B.N. wrote the article "Perspectives and challenges of on-site quantification of organic pollutants in soils using solid-phase microextraction" published in the Trac-trends in analytical chemistry journal with the impact factor 7.487.
In 2016-2017 Kazakhstan scientists wrote 1624 published papers indexed in the database Thomson Reuters. This includes 283 scientific papers by KazNU scientists and teaching staff issued in 83 top-ranking periodical publications, 116 of them were published in cooperation with foreign scientists.
2,677 scientific papers written by scientists from Kazakhstan and indexed in the Sciverse Scopus database were published in 2016-2017, 386 of which were written by scientists from KazNU. Thus, the contribution rate of University scientists was 14.4% of the total number of publications among Kazakhstan scientists. Taking into account joint published papers by scientists from KazNU and the Scientific and Research Institute Gylym Ordasi, the number rises to 15.1%.