Scientific activity of faculty covers a wide range of subjects on all topical issues of journalism, international journalism, online journalism, public relations, publication and design.
Scientific research is conducted on basis of the main directions designated in state programs and in the statement of the President of the Republic N. Nazarbayev.
There are three research centers which have been created in 2013 in performances of the Protocol of an enlarged meeting on the basis of the decision of the Academic Council of al-FarabiKazNU:
1) Research Center for Mass Communications and Media. The director of the Center IbraevaGaliya, doctor of political sciences, professor.
2) Center for Humanitarian Research "Mediasphere". Director of the Center SultanbayevaGulmira, doctor of Political Sciences, professor.
3) KONICA MINOLTA KMLAB Research and Training Laboratory. Director of the laboratorySultanbayevaGulmira, doctor of Political Sciences, professor.
Also, professors of the Faculty of Journalism actively joined to the fundamental research projects of Ministry of Education and Science of Kazakhstan.
In general, research activity of the faculty was carried out in the following priority directions:
• Scientific basic and applied researches on planned and initiative subjects;
• Scientific and organizational work on holding a conference at faculty and participation of teachers in the conferences organized and held out of university and abroad;
• Development of scientific communications with higher education institutions of the republic, and also scientific centers and educational institutions of the FSU and beyond;
• activation of participation of grants or research projects with the public funding.
• development of the international cooperation with the leading foreign scientific centers and universities for the purpose of participation of the international projects;
Improvement of quality of the conducted scientific research and to publish scientific articles in the Scopus journals.