The Department of Biophysics, Biomedicine and Neuroscience is one of the oldest departments of the faculty. The department was founded in 1938. The first head of the department was N. N. Pavlov, in subsequent years the head of the department was K. N. Nurmagambetov (1938-1942); Doctor of Medical Sciences, Acting Professor Rosenberg (1942-1944); Doctor of Biological Sciences, Academician of the Academy of Sciences of the Kazakh SSR A. P. Polosukhin (1944-1947); Doctor of Biological Sciences, Professor M. F. Avazbakieva (1947-1981); Doctor of Biological Sciences, Professor H. D. Dyusembin (1981-1990); Doctor of Biological Sciences, professor K. S. Rymzhanov (1990-1997); Candidate of Biological Sciences, Associate Professor Z. A. Askarova (1997-1999). The Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics was founded in 1973, the head of the department was Doctor of Biological Sciences, Professor V. M. Inyushin. In 1980-1983, the head of the department, Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor A. B. Uteshev, and in 1984-1999-V. M. Inyushin himself.
With the need to train biology teachers for secondary and special schools, gymnasiums and lyceums, the Department of Methods of Teaching Biology was opened in October 1989. The head of the department was Ph. D., Professor N. T. Tormanov (1989-1996)).
From 1999 to 2020, the head of the department was Toleukhanov Sultan Toleukhanovich-Doctor of Biological Sciences, Professor, academician of the International Academy of Information Sciences.
Since the 2020-2021 academic year, the head of the department is Candidate of Biological Sciences, Professor Almira Kustubayeva.
|Academy of Sciences ofthe Kazakh SSR, A.PPolosukhin|| Professor