Research and innovation infrastructure of the al-Farabi Kazakh National University combines subdivisions in which scientific research are conducted on priority directions of the departments and research laboratories. The researchers can test their results of research and development projects in the subdivisions of the University as well as young staff (masters, PhD students, postdocs) can be trained and has professional practice. Effective scientific activity at the al-Farabi Kazakh National University is provided by tight integration of the university innovation infrastructures with research and education centers during the implementation of fundamental and applied research projects.
Interaction of interdisciplinary and specialized research provides an efficient transfer of new technologies to the economy of the Republic of Kazakhstan. In the Al-Farabi Kazakh National University was formed recognizable, both in Kazakhstan and abroad, multidisciplinary research cluster, coordinated by the Department of Science and Innovation, and its activity is provided by:
Scientific research institutes and centers (natural and technical science):
- 14 faculties, 60 departments;
- 8 Branch State Enterprises of Research Institutes and Laboratory of engineering of natural scientific direction
Research institutes and centers (natural and technical profile):
- Research Institute of Mathematics and Mechanics;
- Research Institute of Experimental and Theoretical Physics;
- Research Institute ;
- Research Institute ;
- Research Institute of New Chemical Technologies and Materials;
- Center Methods of Research and Analysis;
- Institute of Combustion;
- National Nanotechnology Laboratory ;
- Laboratory of engineering.
Research institutes and centers (socio-humanitarian profile):
- Institute ;
- Institute of Abai;
- International Institute of Kipchak Studies;
- Center for Arabic Studies;
- Center for Korean Studies;
- Orazbayev Center for Archaeology and Ethnology;
- Training and Research Center Ancient Turkic scripts;
- NATO Information and Resource Centre;
- The European Information Centre;
- Resource Center for American and Democratic Studies;
- Republican Center "Al-Farabi and spiritual culture "
- Center of Ethnopedagogics and Ethnic Psychology;
- Center for Sociological Research, and S;
- Research and Innovation Center for Educational Studies;
- Center for Problems ;
- Center for Environmental Safety and Natural Resources;
- Center for Economic Research.
Special attention is paid to research and innovation activities of students and young scientists. In the al-Farabi Kazakh National University as the form of student self-government are functioning:
- 135 scientific groups in the faculties
- 14 student business incubators in the faculties
- University Intellectual Club
The strategic goal of the scientific infrastructure at the al-Farabi Kazakh National University is to assist in educating of personnel for the development of innovative sectors of the economy, social and humanitarian spheres. The educating process should base on the integration of science, education and industry.
Over the past 10 years in the al-Farabi Kazakh National University were established modern laboratory facilities allowing to conduct unique experiments, explore and obtain research results.