Two laboratories are maintained at the Department:
Laboratory of Genetics and Plant Breeding and Molecular Biology Laboratory.
The main scientific goals of the laboratory of genetics and plant breeding include:
• Development of technology of intervarietal substitution of chromosomes to improve zoned and promising varieties of local selection;
• Localization of genes controlling economically valuable traits of wheat;
• Getting morphologically marked aneuploid lines to accelerate and facilitate time-consuming cytogenetic studies;
• The selection test and reproduction of valuable original forms and substituted wheat lines, obtained by the intervarietal substitution of chromosomes and mutagenesis.
Main scientific goals of the laboratory of molecular biology include:
• Study of molecular - genetic mechanisms of programmed cell death of plants;
• Development of nanobiotechnology for production of recombinant vaccines and proteins for medical purposes;
• Cloning of cellulase genes and their overexpression in genetically modified organisms (pro-and eukaryotic) to produce enzymes used in the production of ethanol from cellulosic raw materials;
• Examine the regulation of activity of enzymes, involved in DNA repair in plants specific to the oxidative damage.