Scientific-Research Institute of Biology and Biotechnology Problems
The Institute was organized in 1993 on the basis of Biology Faculty with the purpose of increasing the efficiency of conducted scientific-research works and preparation of highly skilled scientific staff and experts for national economy. In 2003 according to the decision of the government of RK (№ 984 from September, 6, 2003) the Institute was transformed into the affiliated state enterprise "Scientific-research Institute of biology and biotechnology problems".
Basic scientific directions of Institute activity:
Fundamental research works:
- Study of peculiarities of time organization of biological systems in normal and stressful situations;
- Study of structural-functional organization and expression of genomes of pro- and eukaryotes;
- Study of molecular mechanisms of control of ontogenetically programmed plant cell destruction;
- Study of ways of morphological evolution, system and phylogenesis of some groups of vertebrate and invertebrate animals;
- Analysis of biochemical parameters of blood and reproductive cells of native sheep breeds:
- Study of Kazakhstani flora.
Applied research works:
- Biotechnologies of processing of organic waste products for obtainment of alternative kinds of fuel (bioethanol, biogas, etc.);
- Development of biotechnological preparations for environmental protection;
- Development of technology of obtainment of ecologically safe food products and biotechnological preparations for agriculture and medicine (fodder albumens, probiotics, biologically active supplements, vermiculture production of biohumus, vaccines, etc.);
- Maintenance and expansion of collection, cultivation of microorganisms and yeasts for the industrial purposes;
- Creation of new variety of agricultural crops, resistant to unfavorable biotic and nonbiotic environmental factors;
- Bioinformatics. Establishment of genetic reasons and diagnostics of various diseases.
- Study of laws of formation of biological production in reservoirs of Kazakhstani subaride zone, and definition of possibility for directed formation of hydrobiocenosis production;
- Development of nanobiotechnology for getting recombinant proteins for medical purposes
More than 23 scientific-research works are carried out under the programs for fundamental, applied researches of MES RK, MA RK, the National Center of Biotechnology, international programs (USAID, INTAS, MNTC).
The Institute consists of 5 departments and 13 research laboratories. In the departments of the Institute fundamental and applied problems of biology and biotechnology are investigated. Many of these problems are developed only within the framework of the Institute.
Scientific-research Institute of the problems of Ecology
The Institute was organized in 1993. By the decision of the Government in 2003 it was transformed into the affiliated state enterprise "Scientific-research Institute of the problems of Ecology". In 12 laboratories of the Institute more than 75 employees are working, including 2 academicians of NAS RK, 18 doctors of sciences, 28 candidates of sciences, 2 doctorates, 5 Ph.D., 5 post-graduate students and 15 students.
The basic directions of Institute activity:
- Ecological monitoring of Kazakhstani territories;
- Study of Kazakhstani flora and fauna biodiversity;
- Development and introduction of resource-saving and non-polluting technologies;
- Participation in development of normative acts of rational wildlife management and ecosystems recovering;
- Development and introduction of innovative methods of ecological education.