January 15, 1934 in Alma-Ata, the grand opening of the Kazakh State University too place, which turned into a celebration of the national culture of the Republic. At first the young University consisted of two departments: Biology and Physics and Mathematics, and in September the same year Chemistry Department was opened. This structure of the university, was apparently related both to the urgent needs in the specialists of these profiles and the availability of, though few, skilled personnel the country, capable of providing a new starting university in educational process .
Director of the University was appointed famous scientist, teacher and social activist Fedot T. Olikov, who served as Deputy Commissar for Education of KazASSR.
The first dean of the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics was appointed Associate Professor M. Markovich (a physicist), who participated actively in the organizational and financial affairs of the university, got in contact with governing bodies in Moscow.